· First and foremost, always store your sapphire jewelry in a separate jewelry box or a soft jewelry pouch. Sapphires are moderately hard gemstones and they can scratch other gemstones. Also, sapphires can get scratched by diamonds, rubies and other sapphires.
· Do not wear your sapphire jewelry while doing any physically intensive work. A hard blow can make the stone crack.
· Get your jewelry examined professionally at least once a year. The setting sometime becomes loose, professional can tighten the loose gemstone while cleaning it.
· The best way to clean your jewelry at home is with a luke warm, mild soap and soft toothbrush.
· Sapphires are moderately hard so you can get them cleaned by ultrasonic cleaners and steam cleaners.
· Do not expose your sapphire jewelry to harsh chemicals such as chlorine bleach as it can damage the setting.
· Store your jewelry in a cool place, out of direct sunlight. Sudden temperature changes can crack the sapphire.